The public vote for the 2014 World Paddle Awards closed on Sunday 18 January.
Please note the below are NOT the winners in each category; they are the 'Top 3' most-voted for by you the public. Academy Members, who vote over two rounds, are still voting in Round 2 – the 'Top 3' finalists (after Public and Academy vote) will be announced soon.
Four awards have exactly the same rankings as of our Christmas update, one has a new third place and in the remaining two, Sports Team and Sports Junior of the Year, we have new leaders:
- Sportsman: Hank McGregor – 870 (23%), Fabien Lefevre – 710 (19%), Maxime Gohier – 697 (19%)
- Sportswoman: Freya Hoffmeister – 4,352 (57%), Lisa Carrington – 1,338 (17%), Danuta Kozak – 500 (7%)
- Lifetime Achievement: Eric Jackson – 873 (42%), Dean Gardiner – 665 (32%), Ginny Coyles – 446 (21%)
- Sports Team: Paracanoeing GBR – 836 (32%), Women's K4 Sprint Hungary – 803 (31%), Luka Božič and Sašo Taljat; C2 Slalom Slovenia – 340 (13%)
- Sports Junior: Max Karlsson – 1159 (24%), Florian Breuer – 1048 (22%), Emma Aastrand Jørgensen – 1019 (21%)
- Media Ambassador: Steve West – 924 (51%), Antony Edmonds – 251 (14%), Kayaksurf.net – 159 (9%)
- Paddlesports Professional: Expand and Extend: Women and Canoeing Nepal – 550 (32%), Claire O'Hara – 479 (28%), Hans Peter Weiss – 234 (14%)
You have voted the most, out of the seven Awards, for Sportswoman of the Year with 7,669 votes followed by 4,841 in the Junior category.
From the 'Top 3' finalists (after Public and Academy vote), the seven winners will be announced at the first ever World Paddle Awards held at a ceremony in Augsburg, Germany on Saturday 9 May 2015.
There are two possible reasons why the total number of votes in the above could not correspond with the total on the nominee page:
- Voting closed Sunday 18 January 2015. If you add up the votes (Facebook, Twitter, Google+) after this date the total is probably higher.
- Retweets and 'favourites' on Twitter do not count as a vote. This will be explained below in more detail.
Voting for the nominees needs to proceed through the World Paddle Awards (WPA) website. Only a click on the Facebook, Twitter or Google+ button on the WPA website counts as a vote.
‘Retweets’ and ‘favourites’ on Twitter therefore do not count as a vote (this is not through the WPA website). If a nominee has for example 400 retweets, then 400 will be deducted from the total number of votes (for the same reason we also do not count the 'likes' on a nominee's personal Facebook profile/page: the likes have to be generated through an actual click on the WPA website).
This procedure is mentioned on the WPA website. As a reminder this has also been explained in more detail to all nominees in a newsletter sent early in the voting process last year.
However, 'retweets' do appear as a 'vote' in the Twitter button at the bottom of the nominee profile which is confusing. For the next 2015/2016 WPA we will investigate how to prevent this.