JESSICA FOX (Australia) - Nominee for 'Sportswoman of the Year'
- Born: 1994, sport(s): canoe slalom (C1W, K1W), canoe sprint (K1), represents: Australia
- 2014: World Champion K1W and C1W, U23 World Champion K1W and C1W, World Cup: 2 x gold C1W (Tacen, La Seu d'Urgell), 1 x bronze C1W (Lee Valley)
- The double double (C1 and K1) in 2014 has never been achieved in history in one year
- 2013: World Champion C1W, U23 World Champion C1W, C1W World Cup Series Winner: 5 x gold; 4 in C1W (Augsburg, La Seu d'Urgell, Tacen, Bratislava) and 1 in K1W (Tacen), 1 x silver C1W (Cardiff)
Olympic K1W silver medalist at London 2012, Jess is based at the whitewater centre in Penrith and at only 20, she achieved the 'double, double' in 2014 – senior and U23 World Champion in both C1W and K1W slalom!
Defending her 2013 senior world title in C1W, she is an incredible talent in the paddling the world that will undoubtedly go onto achieve greatness over the next ten years and more.
“Jess Fox (AUS) deserved this win. At gate 17 she was 2.95 seconds up before picking up a 2 second penalty on gate 19. Somehow, very reminiscent of Fox at the Savage in ‘89 she pulled out a full 4.98 seconds between gates 20 and the sprint for the finish.”
Journalist John Gregory on Jess's K1W final at the 2014 Deep Creek Worlds
Activities and achievements off the water:
- Jess was born in Marseille, France; speaks fluent French and grew up in Australia
- She is studying Media and Communications at the University of Sydney
- Jess also surfs on occasion, likes all outdoor pursuits, music, reading and travelling
- 2014 YOG Ambassador (Youth Olympic Games)
- Ambassador NSW (New South Wales) Department of Education: visiting schools to talk about nutrition, sport and so on
- Wings for Life World Run: Wings for Life is an international not-for-profit spinal cord research foundation, their mission is to find a cure for spinal cord injury
- Rebel Run with the Fox: raising funds for more than 800 charities
This is a 2014 archived nominee. For the 2015 nominees click on the button below.