STEVE WEST (Great Britain) - Nominee for the 'Media Ambassador' Award.
- Sports: stand up paddling, canoe outrigger, surfski, ocean-racing, profession: athlete, writer and educator, nationality: British / Australian
All-round ocean-paddling guru from Hayling Island, Hampshire, UK. One of the most known names in the canoeing world, Steve West is an exceptional athlete, pioneer, explorer, entrepreneur, culture-promoter, role model and perhaps the highest-acclaimed technical writer and researcher who has had several books and DVDs published worldwide over a 30-year career.
Canoe outrigger first, he is the world authority on the sport having published 4 leading and definitive guides, including the world's first coaching manual, and devoting most of his life to its development across the Pacific Isles, particularly in Fiji. He is two-times Masters World Champion of the infamous 66km ocean race from Molokai to Oahu, Hawaii.
As for stand up paddling, since 2005, he is essentially one of the sport's founding godfathers who brought it to Europe and the UK. Steve was the CEO, Trainer and Course Developer of the Academy of Surfing Instructors Europe (ASI) that is the accreditation and training body for stand up paddling instructor education. He also wrote one of the sport's most influential training guides: 'Stand Up Paddleboarding - A Paddler's Guide'.
For his career-spanning contribution to paddle-publishing, journalism, course-writing and brand development with Mistral, Steve has been nominated by the community for the WPA Media Ambassador Award.
Activities and achievements:
- Born in Africa, grew up in several countries, pro windsurfer 1980's
- 1980-1987 freelance journalist for UK, USA and Australian windsurf magazines and TV and radio ambassador for windsurfing
- Senior windsurf instructor and examiner for UK governing bodies
- Has lived for over 25 years on Australia's Gold Coast and amongst the world's great surfers and ocean paddlers
- Independent publisher Batini Books, branch of Kanu Culture Publications, was established in 1994 to produce his books, Steve has been Editorial Director ever since.
- Steve is currently Managing Director for Mistral Red Dot and Vice President of Mistral International, stand up paddle and windsurfing manufacturer.
This is a 2014 archived nominee. For the 2015 nominees click on the button below.