ELENA GILLES (Germany) - Nominee for 'Sportswoman of the Year'
- Born: 1989, sport(s): canoe polo (K1), represents: Germany
- 2014: women's World Champions (Thury-Harcourt)
- 2013: women's European Champions (Poznan), women's gold World Games (Cali)
Number 10 Elena Gilles from Frankfurt is Captain of the German women's canoe polo national team that have had such incredible success dominating the field since 2012. Currently residing in Hamburg, Elena paddles out of SKG Hanau club.
Team Germany's women are now 5-times World Champions at the ICF Canoe Polo World Championships defending their crown at consecutive Worlds (2012, 2014) - held every 2 years. At the 2014 Worlds in the Normandy region of France, rivals GBR lost out to Germany 5-1 in the final. Elena was third top female German goal-scorer with 12, 18th overall out of all the women.
Elena's Germany team are proud current European Championships winning 3-2 over GBR in Poznan, Poland. And, the list of achievements increases further; she was also a gold medalist at the U21 European Championship in 2007.
At the 2013 Cali 2013 World Games in Columbia, again it was a Germany-GBR final only the score was much tighter with a 2-1 German win. During the preliminaries Germany beat the USA by a tubthumping 16-1, stunning in a game of 2 x 10 minute halves!
Elena played for the polo squad that took home silvers against the Brits at the 2008 and 2010 World Championships and 2009 World Games.
Activities and achievements off the water:
- Germany's U21 women also won gold in their respective category at the 2014 World Championships defending it too from 2012 – Elena has been a role model offering advice and coaching to the youth squad
- The International World Games Association voted Germany as Team of the month for September 2014
This is a 2014 archived nominee. For the 2015 nominees click on the button below.