Public voting has now closed, totalled with the Academy vote, we are proud to reveal the three finalists for each of the WPA awards.
The finalists have been calculated based on the consolidated vote of both the Public and the Academy. For an explanation of the voting procedure click here and for a detailed and practical example (concerning the 2016 winners) click here.
In each of the award categories, one of the nominees will win The Golden Paddle – a paddlesports 'Oscar'.
In alphabetical order, the 'Top 3' finalists of 2017 in each class are:
- Sportsman: Hank McGregor (RSA), Peter Kauzer (SLO), Tom Liebscher (GER)
- Sportswoman: Jessica Fox (AUS), Lisa Carrington (NZL), Sandy Robson (AUS)
- Lifetime Achievement: Claudia van Wijk (CAN), Finn Larsen (DEN), Tamas Buday (HUN)
- Foundation Award: Dennis Newton (GBR), Myriam Fox-Jerusalmi (AUS), Sue Natoli (AUS)
- Junior: Adam Varga (HUN), Barbora Dimovova (CZE), Felix Oschmautz (AUT)
- Media Professional: Luis Pedro Abreu (POR), Nina Jelenc (SLO), Peter Tranter (GBR)
- Industry Professional: Adidas Sickline, The Extreme Kayak World Championship (AUT), 2017 ICF Pau Canoe World Championships (FRA), 2017 ISA World SUP and Paddleboard Championships (DEN)
- Academy Award: The WPA Academy will decide whether there will be an Academy Award this year or not, which is up to their discretion.
Congratulations to all our finalists! But also of course to all of the 2017 nominees who have set a benchmark for paddlesports achievement.
The winners will be contacted and invited to attend the ceremony at the Radisson Blu Hotel Papirfabrikken in Silkeborg, Denmark on Saturday 24th February 2018 when the results will be announced publicly to the world.
In uniting paddlesports disciplines, the buzz around this fourth year's Awards is representative of how far along our sport has come.